Robinho sentenced to nine years for 2013 sexual assault

Robinho sentenced to nine years for 2013 sexual assault

Robinho sentenced to nine years for 2013 sexual assault

A statement has been issued on his Instagram profile, from his lawyers, denying he was involved.

However, Robinho, who now plays for Atletico Mineiro in the Brazilian league, has the opportunity to appeal the verdict under Italian law.

Brazilian footballer Robinho has been sentenced to nine years in jail after an Italian court found the former Real Madrid, Manchester City and AC Milan player guilty of sexually assaulting a 22-year-old woman in a Milan nightclub in 2013.

Five other men were also found guilty along with the player, who now represents Atlético Mineiro.

The Brazilian was found guilty of assaulting a 22-year-old Albanian woman in a Milan nightclub alongside five other Brazilians in a court in the northern city on Thursday (23 November). Robinho joined Atletico Mineiro from Guangzhou Evergrande previous year.

Argentina says noise wasn't from missing sub
He says the sounds did not come from tools being banged against the hull of a submarine as was previously reported by some media. Approximations of oxygen in the vessel are complicated, said William Craig Reed, a former US Navy diver and submariner.

Robinho was also accused of sexual assault in London in 2009 while at Manchester City but was cleared of any wrongdoing.

It added: "All legal steps are now being taken with regards to this decision by a court of first instance". Brazil does not extradite its own citizens when they are sentenced in other countries.

He however has the right of appeal and until the process is followed, the sentence can not take effect.

His performances won him a move to Real Madrid in 2005 but he stayed only three years before moving to City in a British-record £32.5m transfer. He has 100 global caps for his country.

Related news