Saudi air defence forces intercept missile over Najran - statement

Saudi air defence forces intercept missile over Najran - statement

Saudi air defence forces intercept missile over Najran - statement

This comes hours after Yemen's Houthi rebel group announced that they had launched drone rocket strikes against Saudi Arabia, according to an update on their al-Masirah news channel.

The battle between Saudi Arabia and Yemen, now in its third 12 months, began in March 2015 when a Saudi-led coalition intervened on behalf of its southern neighbor to help the fragile authorities of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.

There were no immediate reports of damage.

The US on Thursday strongly condemned the Houthi missile attack on Riyadh, saying this calls into question their commitment to helping shape a peaceful, prosperous, and secure future for Yemen.

The coalition imposed air and sea blockade to prevent weapons from reaching Houthis, who have seized control of the capital Sanaa militarily and most of the northern Yemeni provinces since late 2014.

With Syria in focus, Trump cancels trip to Latin America
When speaking on Monday, Trump stated that "nothing is off the table", in dealing with Syria following the chemical attack . The White House announced on Tuesday that Donald Trump will not travel to South America this week as planned.

Al Arabiya said earlier that Saudi air defense forces had intercepted a missile over Riyadh after at least three blasts were heard in the capital.

The Houthis have stepped up ballistic missile attacks on the kingdom in what it says is retaliation for the air raids.

One man was killed in Riyadh last month by debris after the military shot down a flurry of missiles, the first casualty of the Yemen war in the Saudi capital.

Al Arabiya broadcaster reported that the attack was "launched indiscriminately to target civilian areas and population".

Related news