Thai cave rescue: Global outpouring of support greets boys saved from cave

Thai cave rescue: Global outpouring of support greets boys saved from cave

Thai cave rescue: Global outpouring of support greets boys saved from cave

Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha was scheduled to make a second visit to the scene late on Monday and the president of soccer's governing body, FIFA, Gianni Infantino, today invited the boys to the World Cup final in Moscow on Sunday if they make it out of the cave in time.

The boys, aged from 11 to 16, and their 25-year-old coach, ventured into the Tham Luang cave in northern Thailand on 23 June after football practice and became trapped when heavy rains flooded the cave.

Another four were rescued on Monday and the last four boys and the coach were brought out on Tuesday.

The Seals said they are still waiting for a medic and three navy Seals who stayed with the boys to emerge from the cave.

According to the TV channel, the 12th kid and the youth football team's coach were brought out at about 17:40 local time (10:40 GMT).

"We've rescued everyone, " said Narongsak Osatanakorn, the former governor of Chiang Rai province and the lead rescue official, as volunteers and journalists erupted in jubilant cheers and claps.

"We are not sure if this is a miracle, a science, or what", read the post on the official Thai Navy SEAL Facebook page this morning.

Nargonsak said this phase may take longer than the previous two rescue missions.

"Everyone is in a good mental state", Jesada Chokedamrongsuk, permanent secretary of the public health ministry, told reporters at Chiang Rai hospital. They were given a treat on Tuesday: bread with chocolate spread that they had requested.

Reports Say First Two Boys Brought Out of Cave
The group was found nine days later in a cramped chamber 2.5 miles inside the cave system by two British volunteer rescue divers . The rescue mission has been a huge operation, led by the Royal Thai Navy's SEAL unit , and supported by a cast of hundreds.

Officials said that families of the rescued group were preparing to head to Chiang Rai, finally able to see their loved ones after weeks of agony.

In the past two days, eight boys were rescued and are now in a hospital isolation ward while they are tested for any possible infections. "Everyone is in high spirits and is happy to get out".

"They are diving in something considered (an) extremely hazardous environment in zero visibility, the only light that is in there is the torch light we bring".

They are all likely to stay in hospital for seven days due to their weakened immune systems.

It was clear doctors were taking a cautious approach.

Authorities said earlier divers had to hold the boys close to bring them as they made their way out along a guide rope, and each boy had to wear an oxygen mask to enable normal breathing.

Asked at a news conference in Bangkok if the boys had been sedated, Prayuth said: "Who would chloroform them?"

They were discovered by a team of British divers on Monday, prompting an urgent, meticulously-planned rescue operation.

At least nine ambulances and a convoy of other vehicles were at the cave site Tuesday.

Related news