Judge Temporarily Blocks the Release of 3D Gun Design Plans

Judge Temporarily Blocks the Release of 3D Gun Design Plans

Judge Temporarily Blocks the Release of 3D Gun Design Plans

In a suit filed Monday in Seattle, eight Democratic attorneys general asked a judge to block the federal government's settlement with Defense Distributed that allowed the company to make the plans available online.

The restraining order from U.S. District Judge Robert Lasnik in Seattle puts that plan on hold for now.

"In a major victory for common sense and public safety, a federal judge just granted our request for a nationwide temporary restraining order - blocking the Trump administration from allowing the distribution of materials to easily 3-D print guns", New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood said in a statement.

The company's website had said downloads would begin on Wednesday, but blueprints for at least one gun, a plastic pistol called the Liberator, have been posted on the site since Friday.

"There are 3D printers in public colleges and public spaces and there is the likelihood of potential irreparable harm", he said. "Thankfully, reason prevailed in the courts today and we hope it foretells of a more permanent reprieve from a very unsafe potential reality".

The measure is meant to ensure that even guns primarily made of plastic can be discovered by metal detectors.

New Jersey and seven other states also filed a suit against the Trump administration for its decision to allow Defense Distributed to publish the blueprints.

President Trump weighed in on the intensifying debate over 3D-printed guns Tuesday morning with a tweet saying the idea "doesn't seem to make much sense!". The Obama administration argued that publishing the instructions for printing the weapons was a violation of firearm export laws, while Defense Distributed claimed the State Department was violating its First and Second Amendment rights. The lawsuit follows a cease-and-desist letter that Attorney General Grewal sent the company on Thursday, July 26, 2018.

US President Donald Trump
States sue to block sale of 3D-printed weapon designs online

Donald Trump weighed in Tuesday against a new technology allowing people with 3D printers to produce firearms, eventhough his administration has settled a lawsuit in favor of the first large-scale distributor of digital blueprints. The plans can be programmed into a 3-D printer.

Hours before the restraining order was issued, Democrats sounded the alarm, warning about "ghost guns" that can avoid detection and pose a deadly hazard.

Last week, in response to questions, Pompeo told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee that the State Department would review the new policy of allowing downloadable 3D printing blueprints.

Trump said, without specifying which part of the argument he was referring to.

Starting August 1, it will be legal to download the 3D-gun blueprints.

These are the things that at least 21 United States attorneys general are concerned about, and why nine of them chose to file suit against the U.S. government. He understands concerns about the guns' ability to be detected, but laws already make it illegal for people to possess undetectable guns.

The gun plans were pulled from the internet in 2013 by order of the U.S. State Department under worldwide gun trafficking laws.

The activist, Cody Wilson, argued that the ban violated his rights under the US constitution.

Fake news and propaganda abound while votes are counted in Zimbabwe
A recent Afrobarometer survey of 2,400 people put Mnangagwa on 40 per cent and Chamisa on 37 per cent, with 20 per cent undecided. Chamisa on Monday said there was an attempt to "suppress and frustrate" the vote in urban areas where he has strong support.

Related news