US VP welcomes return of Korean War remains

US VP welcomes return of Korean War remains

US VP welcomes return of Korean War remains

Vice President Mike Pence accepted the remains of presumed US soldiers killed in the Korean War at a ceremony at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam in Hawaii Wednesday night.

Vice President Mike Pence attended a ceremony in Hawaii Wednesday to receive remains of United States soldiers killed in the Korean War, a bloody conflict which, as History.com records, ended 65 years ago last Friday.

"The remains are consistent with remains that we have recovered in North Korea through our own recovery efforts in the past", he said.

Pence, whose father fought in the Korean War, said the U.S. "will never stop striving until every hero lost in the Korean War is home" and hence keep its promise "to leave no man behind".

"But today, we prove these heroes were never forgotten".

"The remains are what the DPRK officials said they were", he told reporters, using the official name for North Korea, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

From the base, the remains will be taken to a laboratory in Hawaii for possible identification, with the goal of matching them with any of the 7,697 USA personnel who remain are unaccounted for after the Korean War. A United Nations Command color guard - representing different countries in the U.N. - took out the caskets and loaded them onto the military cargo planes.

Sixteen other United Nations member countries fought alongside USA service members on behalf of South Korea.

The 55 boxes fulfill a promise, after some delay, by North Korea's leader to U.S. President Donald Trump during their meeting in Singapore on June 12.

North Korea is working on new missiles
A new report suggests that North Korea has continued to build new missiles, despite ongoing talks with the Trump administration. The North Koreans are publicly dismantling an engine test stand at the Sohae Satellite Launching Station.

More than 7,700 US troops remain unaccounted for from the Korea War.

USA soldiers salute to vehicles transporting the remains of 55 US soldiers who were killed in the Korean War at Osan Air Base in Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Friday, July 27, 2018. North Korea has long argued its nukes are aimed at coping with US military threats, saying it wants to sign a peace treaty with the United States to formally end the war.

"They dedicated their lives for the last 60 years finding out what happened to their fathers, what happened though those patriots, warriors who went to fight for us, for every generation of Americans", Hegseth continued. Other U.S. service members were captured and placed in prisoner-of-war camps, where many succumbed to starvation, exposure and torture. North Korea also committed to work towards the complete denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula.

Mr Trump later suspended annual military drills with South Korea which North Korea had long called an invasion rehearsal. "Again, this is just a great first step in building some confidence and building a relationship".

North Korea may want to use the remains' return to keep diplomacy with the United States alive and win a reciprocal USA concession.

The commander of US Forces Korea, General Vincent Brooks said at the recent Aspen Security Forum that North Korea's "production capability is still intact".

The remains will be examined at the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency, and experts there will be responsible for identifying the remains. The official, who discussed previously undisclosed aspects of the remains issue on condition of anonymity, also said North Korea provided a single military dog tag along with the remains. The two sides remain technically at war because a peace treaty was never signed.

The returns of f dozens of servicemen who were killed in the Korean War.

Related news