Huawei, ZTE banned from providing 5G tech in Australia

Huawei, ZTE banned from providing 5G tech in Australia

Huawei, ZTE banned from providing 5G tech in Australia

A Huawei shop is pictured in Singapore August 8, 2018.

In a statement via Twitter, Huawei said it was "an extremely disappointing result for consumers".

The pair expressed concerns that Huawei, which is also facing scrutiny in the USA over alleged links to Beijing, would pose threat to Australia's national security as it would be subject to the Chinese government influence.

Huawei has been angling to build 5G infrastructure in Australia.

While the announcement fails to mention Huawei or ZTE by name, the former - which has always been barred from supplying network hardware for Australia's National Broadband Network - confirmed the "extremely disappointing" ban on Twitter (below). Lawmakers have expressed concern that the company's technology poses a national security risk because its devices may contain features created to compromise American users.

Australia has banned Chinese telecommunications network equipment manufacturers Huawei and ZTE from supplying operators in their 5G deployments.

The private Chinese company started by a former People's Liberation Army major in 1987 suffered a setback in the U.S. market in 2012 when a congressional report said it was a security risk and warned phone companies not to buy its equipment.

Transfer: Hazard to sign new Chelsea contract on one condition
Hazard showed why he is considered so valuable to the Blues when he was substituted on in the second half. But he threw his future into question during the World Cup when he said that he wanted to see whom...

"Has safely & securely delivered wireless technology in Australia for close to 15 year", Huawei Australia said in its posting.

ZTE hasn't publicly commented on the matter.

The ban was also announced this morning by the departments of Home Affairs and Communications in a statement this morning.

Australia had previously banned Huawei, the world's largest maker of telecommunications network gear, from providing equipment for its fiber-optic network and moved to block it from laying submarine cables in the Pacific.

Whilst ZTE and Huawei have not been explicitly named in the government's statement, wording implies local telcos which involve groups such as Huawei and ZTE "risk failure by the carrier" to "adequately protect a 5G network from unauthorised access or interference".

Lu said that China was deeply concerned by Australia's decision and Beijing always encouraged Chinese firms to obey global standards and local laws while carrying out economic activities overseas.

Related news