Indonesia calls off grim search for dead

Indonesia calls off grim search for dead

Indonesia calls off grim search for dead

Indonesia on Thursday extended for a day the search for victims of a 7.5 magnitude quake and tsunami on Sulawesi island at the request of relatives of the many still missing, the national disaster mitigation agency said.

Rehabilitation and reconstruction will take until 2021, the government says.

Heavy equipment hasn't been able to operate in neighborhoods where the earth turned to mud, hampering the search effort, and many bodies have decomposed beyond recognition due to the tropical heat.

"The national search and rescue agency will handover its task to the Palu city search and rescue agency and they will continue the work", BNPB spokesman Sutopo Nugroho said in a press conference, adding that the national search will continue until sundown on Friday.

"Our goal is the same regardless of nationality: to find victims and help people", an Indonesian rescue worker who gave his name as Ival told BenarNews. More than 200,000 people remain in dire need of humanitarian assistance in Palu.

The official death toll, mostly in Palu, rose to 1,948 this week and almost 2,000 bodies have been recovered.

A woman stands in the rubble of houses as a boat swept ashore by tsunami rests on the ground in the background in Wani village on the outskirt of Palu, Central Sulawesi, Indonesia, Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2018.

Search-and-rescue authorities have agreed to continue digging for bodies in the rubble of last month's quake for one more day, after families of the around 5,000 still missing pleaded for the search to continue.

Hurricane Michael heads toward Florida Panhandle, 13 deaths in its wake
Hurricane-force winds extended outward up to 35 miles from the center and tropical-storm-force winds were outward up to 185 miles. Kay Ivey declared a state of emergency for her state Tuesday because of expected wide-spread power outages and wind damage.

The second, of magnitude 7, struck at dawn in the Papua-New-Guinea, at 20H48 GMT, without reporting damage in the immediate future.

The natural disaster triggered tsunami waves that reached six meters.

According to The Guardian, Indonesia's disaster agency is planning to clear some of the worst-hit areas and turn them into memorials and parks.

Nugroho said Thursday's quake was not related to the Palu quake since the faults that triggered them are different.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has visited an Indonesian city shattered by an quake and tsunami to assess the impact of the disasters.

During the summer, the earthquakes had done more than 550 deaths on the indonesian island of Lombok.

Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, a spokesman for Indonesia's disaster agency BNPB, wrote on Twitter that several houses were also damaged in the quake that shook Bali and East Java. No tsunami alert was issued following the quake.

Eko Joko, his wife and two children have been salvaging wood and metal to reconstruct their flattened beachfront shop-house. "I'd like to use them", he said in Palu.

Related news