Sisters bound together were Saudi and seeking asylum

Sisters bound together were Saudi and seeking asylum

Sisters bound together were Saudi and seeking asylum

The deaths of two Saudi sisters who recently sought asylum in the US and whose bodies were discovered fully clothed and duct-taped together at the feet and waist last Wednesday on the banks of the Hudson River are under investigation.

NY police said Rotana Farea, 22, and her 16-year-old sister Tala Farea, both of Fairfax County, Virginia, were discovered Wednesday afternoon near 68th Street and Riverside Drive on Manhattan's Upper West Side.

Their mother told detectives that the day before her daughters were discovered, an official at the Saudi Arabian Embassy had ordered the family to leave the United States and return home because of the girls' asylum request.

Sketches were initially released of the Saudi Arabian sisters who were found bound by duct tape in the Hudson River near New York City's Upper West Side. No family members or friends could be located Sunday.

Shea released new images of the Farea sisters, which he said were obtained with the cooperation of the family.

Police say 22-year-old Rotana Farea and 16-year-old Tala Farea were similarly dressed and bound together at their ankles and waists with duct tape. NY police Chief of Detectives Dermot Shea told The Washington Post "they were not in the water that long".

The medical examiner's office will determine the causes of death as the investigation continues.

"We are looking at all clues in their past life", Shea said.

Von Miller reacts to Demaryius Thomas trade to Texans
In addition to the 2019 NFL Draft capital, the Broncos also receive significant relief on their 2018 and 2019 salary cap. What Thomas' trade means for Emmanuel Sanders is he is undoubtedly the No. 1 receiver on the Broncos.

"We are out to get justice for those two girls and find out exactly what happened", he added.

Embassy officials said they were "following closely and constantly for details on the case" and had appointed a lawyer to help in this.

Tala Farea and Rotana Farea are seen in these undated photos released by the New York Police Department.

The sisters were pronounced dead where they were found along the riverbank, police said.

New York City police sent a detective to Virginia to learn more about the sisters.

Tala Farea had been missing from Fairfax since August 24, according to the National Centre for Missing and Exploited Children.

When they were found, they reportedly asked for police protection and were placed in a homeless shelter.

Rotana Farea had been enrolled at George Mason University until the spring. A George Mason spokesman called the news of her death "tragic", and said the university was cooperating with police.

Related news