A two-alarm hearth displaced five individuals early Monday morning at an condominium constructing in the 2600 block of Etna Avenue (near Parker Street) in Berkeley’s Elmwood community, authorities mentioned.
Firefighters received reviews of the fireplace at the a few-story condominium building on Etna just after 2 a.m. and acquired to the scene at 2:09 a.m., stated Assistant Berkeley Fireplace Main Keith Could.
The constructing has 5 units — some of which were being vacant — and all of the citizens have been able to escape the fireplace without main accidents, May possibly reported. The fireplace brought about an estimated $400,000 in problems.
1 resident skilled small smoke inhalation but refused healthcare transportation, and a firefighter sustained a small hand damage, Might stated.
The hearth on Etna most likely originated in a initial-flooring furnace, May possibly explained, but the investigation is continue to underway. He did not know as of publication time no matter whether the device the place the fireplace started was occupied or vacant.
Most of the harm was confined to the first and second tales of the creating on Etna. The structure sustained important injury, and there was some fire publicity to the solitary-spouse and children home following door, in accordance to Could.
“The framework itself is uninhabitable. There was so considerably problems that I really do not consider people today can stay there,” May possibly explained of the displaced citizens. The people appeared to be higher education-aged, according to a witness at the scene Monday afternoon.
PG&E responded to the region to protected a electric power line that was damaged by the hearth, and firefighters cleared the scene at 4:26 a.m.
Nearby inhabitants have been awakened because of to the blaze and emergency reaction, and a witness noticed people hauling out home furniture from the residence Monday afternoon.
Editor’s note: This tale was up-to-date just after publication to clarify several points.