I assume we can all agree that current months of pandemic and political unrest have been difficult kinds, and generally solely bereft of humor. I am as a result happy to announce the revival of the Grove Music On the net Spoof Report Contest 2021.
Spoof content articles have had a extensive history with Grove Audio. Grove’s certain type and format have impressed all forms of parodies. In earlier iterations of the contest, we’ve been given articles on instruments (“Musical Cheesegrater” submitted by Caroline Potter won our 2016 contest), composers (our 2014 winner Joanna Wyld submitted an article on American satirical composer Lucas John Henderson, whose works included Oiseau de für Elise for voice and Bunsen burner, which was regrettably, but possibly not remarkably, destroyed in a fireplace), performers (our very initial contest winner Keith Clifton in 2013 wrote about soprano Stella Del Marinar, who obtained late job fame writing gender-swapped opera diversifications these as Le garçon du régiment), and even notation (2016 honorable point out Daniel Melamed wrote about the a tiny regarded neume, the sphinculus).
So in the curiosity of continuing the custom and in honor of Grove Music Online’s 20th anniversary on 20 January of this 12 months, warm up your keyboards and sharpen your pencils. This year’s winner will get a year’s membership to Grove Tunes On the net and $100 in OUP publications. Could the best parodist get!
- Content articles ought to be no longer than 300 text, which includes any bibliography or functions lists you may possibly select to involve. There is no bare minimum duration. Entries that do not adhere to the length restrict will be folded, spindled, and turned down.
- Content articles will be judged by a combine of employees and outdoors judges together with Grove Music’s Editor in Chief Deane Root, Editor Anna-Lise Santella, and a guest to be named later on.
- Judges will think about the subsequent conditions:
- Does the article adhere to Grove design and style?
- Is it entertaining?
- Could it go for a real Grove posting (probably if you forgot your eyeglasses and you were being squinting at it)?
- Submissions should be sent by e-mail despatched to editor[at]grovemusic.com as follows:
- Topic will have to go through “Grove Music phony article contest-Grove Music’s 2021 spoof report contest is now open up!” (e.g., Grove Music phony posting contest-Ear flute).
- Physique of the e-mail ought to consist of the title of the write-up and your total title and get in touch with info (street address, electronic mail, cellular phone)
- The article ought to be provided in an attached document. It must not contain your identify. This is to aid blind judging. Use your article’s title as the doc identify (if your post contains punctuation that just cannot be in a doc title, substitute the punctuation with a place). You may possibly send as quite a few as a few articles or blog posts, but please deliver each and every submission individually. No much more than a few entries will be recognized from a solitary writer.
All submissions ought to be acquired by 23:59 EST on 28 February 2021. Manuscripts received after that time will not be viewed as.
- The successful posting(s) will be announced on 1 April 2021 on the OUPblog
- The winner will acquire USD100 in OUP books and a year’s own subscription to Grove Music On line. There is no dollars different and the prize is not transferable.
- We reserve the correct not to award a prize if we truly feel the submissions do not meet up with our conditions.
Element impression: Sara Levine for Oxford University Push.